The Fayetteville City Council is an elected body representing the citizens of Fayetteville. Under the current electoral system, the City Council consists of nine Council members and a mayor. All nine Council members are elected from individual districts, and only citizens within the city limits can vote for those seats on the Council. Citizens only vote for a candidate running in their respective districts.
Cumberland County falls under the requirements of the Federal Voting Rights Act. In accordance with that act, four of the nine districts are drawn so that minorities are assured a voting majority within that district. That creates the opportunity for minority representation on the council roughly equal to minority representation within the city's population. The mayor is elected at-large. A city resident wishing to become mayor must specifically run for that office. The mayor acts as the official head of city government and presides at City Council meetings. The mayor is a voting member of the Council. The mayor also appoints Council members to City Council committees and liaison positions.
In May 2000, voters approved the current election system of nine Council members elected by single-member districts and a voting mayor elected at large.
Council members and the mayor are not full-time city employees, but they are financially compensated for their time and expenses.
City Council Members
- Mayor Nat Robertson
- Mayor Pro Tem Mitch Colvin (District 3)
- Kathy Jensen (District 1)
- Kirk deViere (District 2)
- Chalmers McDougald (District 4)
- Bobby Hurst (District 5)
- William Joseph Leon Crisp (District 6)
- Larry Wright (District 7)
- Theodore W. Mohn (District 8)
- James William Arp, Jr. (District 9)
City Council Inauguration - December 7, 2015
- City Manager Ted Voorhees
- City Attorney Karen M. McDonald
- Fayetteville Public Works Commission (PWC)
- 2015 City Council Schedule
- City Council District Finder (By Address)
- City Council Committees - Meeting Schedule & Liaisons
- Council District Maps
City Council Meeting Archive Playlist