Beer/Wine License Information

Every person desiring to sell at retail or wholesale within the city any of the beverages defined and enumerated in G.S. 18B-101, as amended shall first obtain a license from the Deputy Tax Collector.  No such license shall be issued by the Deputy Tax Collector until the applicant has obtained the appropriate permit from the NC Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission as provided by G.S. chapter 18B.  Beer and Wine Licenses are issued for the period from May 1st to April 30th, per NCGS 105-113.70(b) and Fayetteville, N.C., Municipal Code art. II, § 15-62(2) (2013) The License cannot be prorated.

INSTRUCTIONS (Please Read Carefully)

  1. Contact the Zoning Department at (910) 433-1705 to make sure your proposed business activity is allowed at your proposed business location.
  2. Obtain temporary Beer and/or Wine Permits from the North Carolina Alcohol Law Enforcement Division. They can be contacted by phone at (910) 486-1124 and are located at 313 Union Street (behind the main post office on Green Street).
  3. License Tax Due Date – The Beer/Wine Privilege License must be paid before a business may begin to sell beer and/or wine. The license must be renewed each year prior to May 1st per N.C.G.S. 105-113.70(b).
  4. To apply for a Beer/Wine Privilege License– please complete a Beer Wine Application-2017. Receipt of a privilege license does not relieve the applicant from complying with all applicable City ordinance and State and Federal laws and regulations.

    The application cannot be processed without the following information:

    • Copy of State ABC permit you have been issued.
    • Your State ABC permit number(s).
    • The street address of your business location. Include any suite or unit numbers.
    • The business trade or D/B/A name.
    • The business mailing address.
    • Indicate the business location phone number.
    • The number of locations within the city limits that have been issued State ABC permits in your corporate name or under your ownership name.
    • Beer and Wine Licenses are not transferable.  If you are the new owner, please contact the City of
      Fayetteville, Collections, Finance Department for a new application

    • Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, Limited Liability Partnerships, S-Corporations:
      The business corporate name must be the same as listed on your ABC permit. For LLP’s, the managing partner is considered to be the corporate owner of a business. 

    • Proprietorship's, Partnerships: The business owner must be the same as listed on the ABC permit. The business owner must sign the application. Limited Liability Companies and Limited Liability Partnerships are considered to be corporations. 

  5. Payment – Once completed, please mail your signed application with the appropriate payment, and a copy of your North Carolina ABC permit to the City of Fayetteville, Collections, Finance Department, at the above address.  Please make your check payable to the “City of Fayetteville.”  We accept credit cards.  This tax may also be paid in person at City of Fayetteville, Collections, Finance Department (City Hall) located at 433 Hay Street. 




 (910) 433-1030 OR (910) 433-1676.

Printable Instructions: Beer and Wine Instructions Application 2017-new

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.