"Working to Promote Equal Opportunity"
About the Department
The Department serves the greater Fayetteville and Cumberland County Community in many ways. One of those ways involves responding to requests for assistance. In listening to citizens’ concerns, department personnel will determine whether the issue falls within the purview of the Department. If the issue is jurisdictional to the Department, appointments are made with staff who will investigate allegations of discrimination. Concerns that are outside of the Department’s jurisdiction are routed to the appropriate agencies at the local, state, or federal level.
With the support of the Fayetteville-Cumberland Human Relations Commission, the Department provides educational outreach to the public, private, and nonprofit sectors of the community. The outreach includes, the coordination and sponsoring of annual equal employment opportunity and fair housing workshops. Additionally, professional development training for management and employees in the areas of employment law, fair housing, and sexual harassment are conducted by staff. The Department and Commission sponsors public forums that address human relations issues as well as informing individuals of topics that impact quality of life involving health, education, and human services.
The Human Relations Commission provides the City Council and County Commissioners with advice on improving human relationships and encourages harmony among racial and ethnic groups.
Services and Programs
The Fayetteville-Cumberland Human Relations Department provides the following services and programs:
- Staff support for the Human Relations Commission and Fair Housing Board
- Support of EEO Compliance for Transit (FTA/FAA mandates) and coordination and resolution of citizen ADA complaints for City government.
- Investigates equal opportunity and unfair treatment complaints.
- Enforces the City’s fair housing ordinance.
- Manages the Limited English Proficiency plan in support of the City’s Language Access Policy
- Provides “Partnering with Business” consulting services involving fair employment and employee relations.
- Development and facilitation of programs designed to improve human relations and community unity.
- Provides training on equal opportunity and human relations matters.
- Collaborates with City and County Community Development Departments on strategies to resolve housing issues that discriminate or adversely affect citizens in a disparate way.
- Collaborates with organizations in the public, private, non-profit, higher education and military sectors on issues within the purview of the City’s Human Relations Ordinance.
- Provides administrative support to City management on human relations issues.
To ensure the protection of civil rights, the promotion of equal opportunity/access and positive community/human relations in the City of Fayetteville and Cumberland County and within their work forces. Also to provide efficient and effective staff support to the Fayetteville-Cumberland Human Relations Commission and the Fair Housing Board to carry out their mandates and jurisdiction.
An innovative, proactive, project-oriented public service team that promotes equal opportunity and positive community relations through effective community partnerships.
"Encouraging Harmony Among Racial and Ethnic Groups"
The Fayetteville-Cumberland Human Relations Department has dual primary functions.
Protecting Civil Rights
- Counseling - Parties are counseled about equal opportunity practices, civil rights regulations and options for resolving complaints at the lowest level.
- Referral - Referrals are provided for complaints not within the department’s jurisdiction to state and federal agencies.
- Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) Mediation—Mediation is a form of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) that is offered as an alternative to the traditional investigative process. Mediation is an informal process in which a third party helps the opposing parties reach a voluntary, negotiated resolution of a complaint.
- Investigation - Investigation assistance is provided when a complaint is not resolved through counseling or mediation. Steps may include collecting and analyzing evidence, interpreting civil rights regulations and making closure determinations. The investigator is a staff person who is trained to investigate allegations of unlawful civil violations.
Human Relations Commission
The Human Relations Commission's Mission Statement is: "To facilitate and advocate programs, projects, and actions to ensure a better quality of life and the civil and human rights of all citizens, without regard to race, sex, religion, creed, national origin, age, familial status, or disability."
The Human Relations Commission provides the City Council and County Commission members with advice on improving human relations and encourages harmony and community unity among racial, religious, disabled community, and ethnic groups.
Human Relations Department
433 Hay Street
Fayetteville, NC 28301-5537
Dr. Anthony Wade, Director, Fayetteville-Cumberland Human Relations Department
Anthony is the Human Relations Director for the City of Fayetteville and Cumberland County, serving in that role since April 2016. An honorably retired Air Force veteran, he has over 35 years of experience in human relations, EEO and fair housing enforcement, and human resources. Anthony’s background includes serving as Base Director of Military Equal Opportunity/Human Relations Education at Lowry Air Force Base in Denver, Colorado, and as Human Relations Director for the City of Greensboro and New Hanover County government in North Carolina. A native of Wilmington, North Carolina who now resides in Fayetteville, Anthony is also a past president of the National Association of Human Rights Workers.
Prior to Fayetteville, Anthony was the Executive Director of Human Resources for Cedar Valley College in the Dallas County Community College District in Texas and a former Human Resources Manager for Denver Water in Colorado. Anthony earned his Doctorate of Philosophy degree in Education and Human Resource Studies from Colorado State University in Fort Carson, Colorado, with a specialization in Organizational Performance and Change.
|Collazo, Luis||Human Relations Supervisor||Human Relations||(910) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ragin, Willetta||Human Relations Administrative Specialist||Human Relations||(910) email@example.com|
|Smith, Carol||Office Assistant||Human Relations||(910) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Wade, Anthony||Director||Human Relations||(910) email@example.com|