A section of Shawcroft Road, including a culvert, was washed away by Hurricane Matthew on October 8, 2016. Following the disaster, the City conducted an assessment of the roadway to determine an estimated cost for repairs. The estimated cost to fix the roadway and replace the culvert is $1.3 million.
The City will construct a new culvert in 2018 on Shawcroft Drive, at the entrance to King’s Grant, to provide a permanent entrance to the neighborhood. The existing culvert was washed away by Hurricane Matthew floodwaters and a temporary culvert was put in place to allow access to the neighborhood.
- Status: Construction
- Next Step: Construction Completion
- Contract / Contractor:
- Design: Hazen and Sawyer
- Construction: Wells Brothers
- Estimated Completion Date: Late Summer 2019
- Kings Grant Community
- City of Fayetteville Public Services Department- Engineering Division
- Public Works Commission (PWC)
- North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality (NCDEQ)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- COF Contact: Giselle Rodriguez (910) 433-1656/ GRodriguez@ci.fay.nc.us
- PWC Contact: General Inquiries (920) 483-1382
For More Information:
Current Weekly Status
The City awarded this contract to Wells Brothers Construction with a Notice to Proceed date of March 11, 2019. This will allow time for Wells Brothers to contract the initial work with Duke Energy which will include the relocation of a gas line along Shawcroft Road. Based on Duke’s schedule, the gas line cannot be relocated until May of this year.
Following the relocation of the gas line, the contractor will set upstream bypass pumping and other erosion control measures necessary for culvert replacement. Once the road is closed, the contractor has 45 days to safely re-open Shawcroft Road to traffic. Traffic control message boards will be installed and activated at least one week prior to road closure.
*We attempt to update page on a weekly basis. However, given the nature of the project, there may not be significant changes from week to week.
Presentation to Council on 4/17/2017.
For questions regarding this project, please contact our Engineering Department at 910-433-1656.