Applications are only accepted during open recruitment. You may fill out an interest card at any time by CLICKING HERE and clicking the green subscribe button. Your information is kept on file and during the next open recruitment process an email will be sent notifying you that you may go online and submit an application.
We are looking for people who are dedicated to helping their fellow citizens... people who are not afraid of hard work or challenges... people who rise to the occasion during critical situations. As a member of the Fayetteville Fire/Emergency Management Department you can expect a rewarding career with a sense of accomplishment. You will experience a camaraderie which is second to none. Do you have what it takes? Can you make the grade?
Once hired, recruits must complete the Fayetteville Fire Academy. Throughout the academy, newly hired candidates receive firefighter certification training and are evaluated to ensure they are able to perform the tasks required for the job. Upon graduation from the academy, students have completed the requirements for certification as Firefighter I & II and Hazardous Materials Responder Level I through the NC Department of Insurance, Office of the State Fire Marshal.
The Fayetteville Fire/Emergency Management Department offers employees a chance to specialize in several different areas of interest. After graduating from the recruit academy all new employees are assigned to an engine or truck company in the Suppression Division. Through specialty training and experience gained you may apply for an assignment on a rescue company or to be assigned to either the Hazardous Materials or USAR (Urban Search and Rescue) Teams. An assignment in the Prevention Division allows employees to use skills in inspections, investigations and prevention programs. A Training Division assignment allows employees to pass on knowledge and skills learned through the recruit academy and in-service training.
- Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of application
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or a Lawfully Authorized Alien Worker
- Must present original birth certificate (or notarized copy)
- Must be a High School graduate and present original (or notarized copy) of diploma, transcripts, or GED certificate meeting minimum state standards to include scores
- Veterans must provide proof of military service (DD214) member copy #4; if you are currently in the military, you must have an official letter from the military indicating your ETS date
- Possess a valid North Carolina driver's license appropriate for vehicle operating within 30 days of employment. Must have no loss of license within the past year and an acceptable driving record in accordance with the City of Fayetteville Driving Standard.
- Must have no felony and limited misdemeanor convictions
- Must be in good physical condition as required by the essential job functions and willing to submit to a pre-employment drug screening and physical examination upon conditional offer of employment.
- Must be able to meet standards for NC EMT certification within one year of employment.
The process to become a City of Fayetteville Fire Fighter will include several phases. All phases of the hiring process must be successfully completed in order to be considered for this position.
Written Test Information
Satisfactorily complete a written examination designed to assess the skills necessary to be an effective firefighter. The examination is administered by the Human Resource Development Department and may cover any or all of the following: reasoning, problem solving, decision making, mathematical comprehension and computation, reading comprehension, and mechanical reasoning. All candidates receiving a passing score will receive an invitation to participate in the next phase of the hiring process.
Physical Agility Information
Successfully complete the physical agility test that consists of a series of exercises created to simulate tasks that are routinely performed by firefighters on the job. If a candidate does not satisfactorily complete an exercise in the maximum allotted time, he/she will not be allowed to continue in the selection process. Practice sessions are offered in advance of the actual test. If the physical agility test is successfully completed a five minute rest period is given before climbing a 77' aerial ladder with a completion time of five minutes. Descriptions of each physical agility exercises can be found here:
Candidates who pass the written examination and agility test will be contacted for a panel interview. The panel will consist of designated members of the Fire/Emergency Management Department and Fayetteville residents.
- Pass a criminal background investigation and driving records check.
- Pass a physical examination and pre-employment drug screening.
Starting Salary of $33,280 (as of August 10, 2015)
The following benefits are provided in addition to the regular paid salary:
- medical, dental and vision insurance
- life insurance
- paid training
- accrued paid vacation and holidays
- unlimited sick leave accumulation
- employee assistance program
- retirement plan
- civil & military leave
- worker’s compensation
- short-term disability leave
- NC Department of Labor Apprenticeship Program
- advancement/promotion potential through a career development program
- uniform service
Any questions can be directed to:
John Garnett, Captain of Recruitment
Phone: 910-433-1580 (office) or 910-676-1716 (cell)