The City of Fayetteville’s Strategic Plan
As the City of Fayetteville continues to grow and thrive, the City Council looks to chart a course with a strategic plan which articulates a vision for our community’s future that will ensure vitality and sustainability. The City of Fayetteville is guided by a comprehensive strategic planning process. City Council meets annually to refine the items that comprise the City’s strategic plan and to ensure that it is reflective of the changing needs of our growing community.
The strategic plan has five main areas that represent a commitment to serving the community. The plan is comprised of the following components. The Vision for the community, the organizational Mission and Core Values, 5-Year Goals that support the long-term vision for the City and annual Targets for Action (TFA) to advance progress toward the goals.
This model aligns City programs and spending with long-term goals, brings critical needs into focus and provides an organizational roadmap for success. The City’s strategic plan is a critical component of a larger system of planning for our organization’s success, which includes the annual budget process, citizen input, capital and technology prioritization and financial planning.
Input was gathered from staff and citizens in the following ways:
Senior Management Team Retreat — January 2013
In February, Fountainworks consulting firm met with City Council in a two-day planning retreat. The session included opportunities for participants to build upon ideas and interact in open conversation addressing the following topics:
- Community vision
- Environmental scan: Staff presentations
- Five-year goals and performance measures
- Preliminary one year tactical actions
- Decision filter to help determine which actions should be pursued.
Click on the link below for a report summarizing the activities, comments and ideas of the participants, as well as the accomplishments and future goals.Strategic Planning Retreat Meeting Summary
During the April and May follow-up work sessions, Council worked to confirm the community vision statement which reflects a vibrant and engaged City of Fayetteville. Drawn from environmental scans, City Council determined the path our organization must follow in order to reach the community’s vision and worked to confirm five year goals. And finally, in preparation for budget development, City Council prioritized elements of a one-year tactical action plan. These are the activities that Council and staff will spend a majority of time during the fiscal year, working hand in hand, to bring each target for action to successful conclusion.
2014 Strategic Plan:
On May 28 City Council adopted the 2014 Strategic Plan.
Six goals were identified for the next five years, which help achieve the community’s vision.
- The City of Fayetteville will be a safe and secure community.
- The City of Fayetteville will have a strong, diverse and viable local economy.
- The City of Fayetteville will be designed to include vibrant focal points, unique neighborhoods and high quality, effective infrastructure.
- The City of Fayetteville will be a highly desirable place to live, work and recreate with thriving neighborhoods and a high quality of life for all citizens.
- The City of Fayetteville will have unity of purpose in its leadership, and sustainable capacity within the organization.
- The City of Fayetteville will develop and maintain strong and active community connections.
The City Council also prioritized 13 specific targets for action for staff to enact this year to achieve these goals. Performance measures were incorporated for each of the goals so that the City can measure the impact.
Watch the video below to hear City Manger Ted Voorhees discuss the significance of strategic planning at the City of Fayetteville.
Click on the link below for City of Fayetteville 2014 Strategic Plan Document
The City of Fayetteville 2014 Strategic Plan
For more information about the strategic plan contact:
Rebecca Rogers Carter
Strategic Initiatives Manager
City of Fayetteville | 433 Hay Street | Fayetteville, NC 28301-5537